Thursday 21 March 2013

How did you attract/address your audience? Who would be the audience for your media product?


How did you attract/address your audience?

Who would be the audience for your media product?

There has been many factors I have considered when deciding how to attract the audience and customers needed to create a successful company. Something I have considered and put toward is the idea of distributing the magazine within current magazines; this creates potential customers and public interest. Also there are different audiences that may not be the target audience that may read the magazine and enjoy it. I think this strategy is better than selling it individually as the audience may just go to their usual magazine without even considering a new product within the market.

Also I think advertising the magazine at the concerts that the bands featuring are at is a good selling point for the magazine, introduces an consumer that is clearly interested in the content first had to the consumer. With also the wide range of bands that are going to be featured within the magazine, from popular well established to bands that are only starting out, creates a completely different audiences coming together to read the same magazine
 This ultimately creates a huge audience base therefore the magazine can be targeted a particular audience; however it is accessible to a wider audience in some aspects. I think also a good strategy to attract the audience would be to keep the main features with well-established bands; therefore the audience recognises the band’s name and are instantly attracted towards the magazine. I think having an unknown band featuring on the front cover wouldn’t grab the consumer’s eye in the same way as people tend to naturally stick to what they already know and like, and they don’t have a wide established fan base. I have kept to this idea with having a band reunion on the front of my magazine; this attracts the current audience of the fan base to the magazine as they will be interested in reading about the news of the band.

Also I have added features within the front cover that will attract the audience to buy the magazine; this includes free CD’s and deals on concert tickets. These are promotional offers, I think this will attract this audience base because the average concert ticket for this alternative audience can go up to £200, festivals and concerts such as Leeds fest are increasingly popular within this alternative audience, therefore they are more inclined to purchase and buy the magazine. This is popular within larger magazines companies, and eventually if the magazine became popular within the music industry the artists would supply tickets to win and CD’s that are purchased at a discount for their own publicity.

Another factor I have considered is the cost of the product, and how that would attract the audience. I have priced my magazine as £1.30 per issue which is published monthly. This cost will be added to the overall cost of the product when purchased with another magazine, or just the single price for the magazines that are sold singularly. I think the demographic band that my product would fit in to is the band labelled C2 bordering the D section which is for skilled workforce. Although my product could be purchased by people higher up the demographic band, however this is my target audience. I think having the price at £1.30 per month targets this demographic band because they will be able to spare this money for the magazine per month, where as if I priced my magazine at £5, my target audience may want to consume the magazine however cannot afford it. I think this target audience is the most inclined to be interested within this music genre, as higher bands are stereotypical associated to like classical orchestrated music therefore having the magazine at this price wouldn't attract the people that could afford it.

Also I think having it at this price and having all the promotional offers will make a potential reader feel they are getting a product that has something to offer them in return, as most people enjoy something for a discount or free. I think these factors show that I have catered to the C2 – D target audience, these of which are generally unskilled manual workers, or skilled manual workers.

Also another factor I have considered when trying to attract my target audience is that the majority of music magazines are target at men however they are actually purchased and read by women. This has been proven with magazines such as NME which is one of the magazines I have taken inspiration from. Therefore when deciding on colours and format for the magazine I have kept most of the colours conventionally male dominated, however I have changed them to lighter colours to make them assessable for females also.

Also I think this is something different and diverse from what other magazines have to offer, this may be proven successful. I think this change will attract the audience that I need to create a successful magazine to my magazine. I think also these colours will stand out amongst the other magazines on offer already on the market, and on the shop floor at a distributor. I think this will also create a branding that the consumers will associate the magazine to, therefore indemnify with it and recognise it as unique between the competitors.

Demographic Table

No comments:

Post a Comment